Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 5+6

Hola from San Juan del Sur...

Just ate a VERY delicious dinner in honor of me for sticking out with having meat for every meal. I never ate the meat but I had something different than everybody else and Mrs. Flickinger(the principal)decided that since I hadn't complained they should have an all-veggie meal. 'Twas called Sophie's Supper.

Today we went for an AWESOME hike in the rain forest next to Mambacho Volcano. The volcano is dormant(so it's pretty much sleeping, but it's still active)and we got to tour the cloud forest biome that's near it. We didn't see much wildlife but it was really pretty there and I got a bunch of amazing pictures.

Yesterday we went to the Los Cinchos orphanage for girls and got to meet all the "orphans" there. I put the quotation marks there because, as it turns out, they're not really orphans. They're just girls that lived on the streets with their parents(usually only their mom)and got a chance for a better life. What's another word to describe a child whose parents don't take care of them? There was also a really cute kitten there that I wanted to take home...

I've been noticing that there are a LOT of really skinny dogs and cats roaming the streets. They're strays and in Mexico, it's not part of their culture to feed hungry animals. I've also recognized dogs on the streets. They hang around a particular part of town like it's their territory. Mrs. Tiberio(English teacher)got a Nica cat a few years ago when Jane was just starting out her whole library business. Her cat(Senor Bob)got rescued off the streets and she fell in love with him. What I don't get is that there are so many animals to rescue and nobody is doing that anymore.

Seeya Friday!

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment